- What do respiratory therapists do?
Respiratory therapists evaluate, treat and care for clients with breathing disorders. They work under the direction of physicians to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and management of clients with pulmonary disorders. Respiratory therapists utilize high-tech equipment and practice many types of therapies including: medical gases, medications, aerosols, bronchopulmonary drainage, ventilator support and airway management to help patients breathe easier.
- Where do respiratory therapists work?
Job opportunities for respiratory therapists can be found in hospitals, home health care, air and ground medical transport, and pulmonary laboratories. Most work in hospitals on intensive care, critical care, neonatal and routine floors. There is an estimated 40% increase in the need for respiratory therapists in the coming years.
- What kind of salary could I expect to earn as a respiratory therapist?
A 2012 salary survey reported that the national average annual salary for respiratory therapists with 5 years of experience is approximately $52,870. Pay will vary depending on location, facility and experience.
- How long is the respiratory therapy program?
Our program spans 24 months of continuous education (including two summer sessions). Clinical instruction is conducted in 11 locations throughout Wyoming, Nebraska, and Montana. A neonatal clinical rotation will occur during the last semester of the program in Montana.
- How to I obtain the admission guide for the Respiratory Therapy program?
Call Lupe at 307-268-2235 and she will send you the admission guide.
- What are the prerequisites for the program?
ENGL 1010 English Composition I
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
MATH 1000 Problem Solving (minimum)
PHYS 1050 Concepts of Physics OR CHEM 1005/1006 Basic Chemistry and Lab
ZOO 2040/2041Human Anatomy and Lab
ZOO 2110 Physiology
Students must have completed these courses or be enrolled at the time of application. Midterm grades will be used in the application ranking process if the student has not completed the course by April 6th.
Contact: Douglas Neubert
- What do I need to do to apply to the program?
- Apply to Casper College as a degree seeking student.
- Have taken or be enrolled in the courses listed above.
- Have a cummulative GPA of 2.3 or better.
- Have done 8 hours of observation with a Respiratory Therapist.
- Must have a CPR card for healthcare providers.
- Complete the application for the Respiratory Therapy program.
- Include three letters of recommendation and a letter stating why you want to beome a respiratory therapist and turn in with your application to the program.