Are you interested in learning a set of skills that will make you employable in a wide variety of industries? Would you like to have a job that could allow you to work both in and outdoors? How about a job where you use technology and maps to explore spatial relationships on Earth? Then Geographic Information Systems (GIS) may be for you.
GIS is a computer based mapping system that allows you to query, analyze, and interpret relationships, trends, and data in the world in which we live.
Examples of student projects:
- Mapping the Casper Municipal Golf Course. This project involved using GPS units to collect the location of all the features on the City of Casper Golf Course. Features included T-boxes, greens, sand traps, fairways, cart paths, and others. All of these features were then placed on several maps for the Golf Course to use and print and hand out to patrons.
- Mapping the Pioneer Water and Sewer District. The project involved using GPS units collect all the locations of waterlines, valves and meter boxes. These features were then mapped out and now the Pioneer Water District can easily pull up maps to show which meter boxes and waterlines go to which customer in the District.
- Mapping and Constructing a GeoDatabase for the Casper Downtown Development Authority. The students in this project conducted surveys of all the businesses in the Downtown Development Authority. This was in an effort to help the DDA market to potential businesses who might want to move into the DDA. The database that was constructed allows the DDA to tell potential businesses which buildings in the DDA are vacant and might meet a certain client's needs to open in the DDA.
- Mapping the 33 Mile Irrigation District. Students GPS’d and mapped all of the waterlines, meters, and valves in the 33 Mile Irrigation District. Students also mapped out all of the ownership inside the District. Now the District can tell which meters and lines go to which property and bill them accordingly.
- Fire Hydrant Location Mapping for Natrona County GIS. Students went to certain areas of the county and mapped out where all the fire hydrants were in and around the county. This helped the county and the residents of the areas know where the hydrants were for safety and testing purposes.
Places where students have worked:
- Natrona County GIS Dept.
- City of Longmont, CO, GIS Dept.
- DigitalGlobe - Longmont, CO
- Education Logistics, Missoula, MT
- Natrona County Health Dept.
- Linc Energy
- Goolsby, Finley Associates in Casper, WY
- Barlow and Haun Inc. in Casper, WY
- 609 Consulting LLC in Casper and Sheridan, WY
"The GIS program at Casper College helped me gain a thorough knowledge of ArcGIS, its products, and other related programs that interact with GIS. After graduation from Casper College, I was able to use my knowledge to expand into the spatial world of public infrastructure, engineering design support, and becoming a first responder for emergency operations. Without the talented and knowledgeable staff at Casper College, I wouldn’t be as successful as I am today." -Brett Rosso, Senior GIS Mapping Technician, City of Longmont Colorado